If you don’t know how to install wallpaper, then you’ve arrived at the right place! Wallpapers can easily add color and texture to any space. You get an incredible variety of trendy colors and patterns to choose from. Instead of covering your house walls with paint, consider layering them with stylish wallpaper. In today’s post, I will show you how to install wallpaper by yourself. Wallpapers can be installed in three ways: peel and stick, unpasted, and pre-pasted. The installation process will differ depending on the type of wallpaper you choose. You can keep on reading to know more about how to install wallpaper in detail.
How To Install Wallpaper?
You can follow these steps to learn how to install wallpaper.
- Before installing the wallpaper, ensure that your walls are in good condition.
- Remove all decor and furniture from the wall for easy wallpapering.
- If your walls are cracked, scratched, or damaged, repair them with a spackle.
- Make sure the paste dries completely before you move forward.
- Now, lightly sand away any texture to get a smooth finish.
- Then, wash your walls to get rid of any dirt or oils using a multipurpose soap and a sponge.
- Allow it to dry completely and then prime the walls.
- You can apply an even coat with a sponge brush and leave it to dry.
- Now, using a level and measuring tape, note down the width and height of each wall.
- Find the midpoint of the wall and draw a line from the floor to the ceiling.
- Then, divide the total width of your wall by the width of your wallpaper.
- The result you get is the number of wallpapers you will need.
- Roll out your first strip and apply an even coat of glue all the way to the paper’s edges.
- Now, install the first strip of wallpaper in the least conspicuous corner of the room like behind a door.
- Line one side of your wallpaper up against the plumb line.
- Make sure you leave some excess wallpaper against the ceiling.
- Then, gently press the paper into the seam where your wall and ceiling meet with a putty knife.
- Slowly smooth the paper from the inside out using your putty knife.
- Ensure that you are releasing bubbles and wrinkles.
- Once you reach the bottom, crease your wallpaper against the wall and ceiling.
- Trim the excess wallpaper using your utility knife or scissors.
- Run over your putty knife on the entire wallpaper to ensure all the edges are smoothed down.
- Using a damp sponge, remove any excess adhesive.
- Now, repeat the process again to install other strips.
However, you can follow the same procedure if you want to know how to install wallpaper with glue. You need to be calm while installing wallpaper.
Keep on reading to know how to install self-adhesive wallpaper.
Click here – How To Install Linoleum Flooring?
Install Peel and Stick Wallpaper
Now, you must be wondering how to install peel-and-stick wallpaper. It is very easy to use and install peel-and-stick wallpapers. You don’t have to prepare your paper while installing it. You can follow the same procedure while installing peel-and-stick wallpaper. Simply peel about 12 inches of the adhesive backing and line it up at the highest point of the wall. Now, press and smooth the wallpaper against the wall while peeling off the remaining backing. Make sure you run a plastic smoothing tool or putty knife along the wall to remove air bubbles.
Install Pre-Pasted Wallpaper
When it comes to how to install pre-pasted wallpaper, the steps are pretty similar. For pre-pasted wallpaper, you will need water for activation. Simply dip your wallpaper in the tray of water with the glue side facing outward. Now, lap the wet wallpaper on the ground with the glue side up. Wait for about 3 minutes to activate the glue. Now, hang the wallpaper on the wall leaving a bit extra paper at the top and bottom of the wall. Use a plastic wallpaper smoothing tool to remove any air bubbles!
Install Wallpaper On Painted Wall
Do you know how to install wallpaper on a painted wall? You can easily install wallpaper on your painted wall by using the above-explained methods. Just make sure your painted walls are in good condition. And if not wash it with a multi-surface soap and let it dry. Make sure you apply an acrylic primer and allow it to dry fully before installing wallpaper.
You can keep on reading to know how to install wallpaper on textured walls.
Install Wallpaper On Textured Wall
You can also apply wallpaper on your textured wall in the same way. But you’ve to flatten your textured wall before you start wallpapering. Apply a layer of joint compound to level the surface area, sand the surface smoothly, and then clean the wall. Now, apply a coat of primer to seal the wall and your wall is ready for wallpapering!
Install Wallpaper In Bathroom
Do not panic, if you don’t know how to install wallpaper in the bathroom. Bathrooms are the least daunting rooms to decorate as they don’t require much decor and furniture. You can easily add a stylish touch here by installing bathroom wallpaper. Where you peel-and-stick wallpaper or pasted/pre-pasted wallpapers, the steps are the same!
Install Wallpaper On Glass
Wallpaper is not always applied on walls. They can be used on doors, furniture, stairs, and other surfaces. You can check out this video if you want to know how to install prepasted wallpaper on glass. Make sure you read the information label on your wallpaper roll before you start.
How Much To Install Wallpaper?
Installing wallpaper via labour will cost you from $1 to $7 per square foot or $3 to $9 per yard. In short, it is approximately $25 to $80 per hour to put up wallpaper. The cost can increase or decrease depending on your needs and the condition of your wall.
If you want to know more topics like these visit Installmo
Is Installing Wallpaper Easy?
Hanging wallpaper is a skill that looks more difficult than it really is. You can master the basics with common sense, the right tools, and some practice.
Do You Cut Wallpaper When Wet Or Dry?
Dry wallpaper is naturally stiffer, and easier to cut with scissors or a snap-blade knife. The reason is that dry wallpaper has more resistance to the sharpened edge of the blade, which allows the cut to be smooth and straight.
Should You Start In The Corner When Wallpapering?
Ideally, you’ll have mastered how to wallpaper a flat wall, starting with the first wallpaper length 20in (50cm) from the left-hand corner of the wall, and keeping going until you reach the righthand corner of the wall.
Should I Put Glue On The Wall Or Wallpaper?
Applying adhesive to the back of the paper is the traditional installation method for wallpaper. Wallcoverings manufactured with paper, cotton, or vinyl substrates can absorb moisture and expand when pasted. If applied directly to the wall, the material might bubble and wrinkle.
Click here – How To Install Carpet?
Can One Person Hang Wallpaper?
Anyone can hang wallpaper, but it takes a little know-how to hang it straight and with tight, nearly invisible seams. We asked professional paperhanger Bob Rowland to give us some insight into what it takes to get the job done right.
Can You Hang Wallpaper Over Drywall?
You also don’t want to install any wallpaper directly to drywall. For paste-the-wall wallpaper, the drywall can soak up the paste not leaving much for the paper. It is best to apply a primer to seal the wall before applying the paste.
In the above post, I’ve discussed how to install wallpaper in a room step-by-step guide in detail. Anyone can hang wallpaper, but you need to start this task with careful planning and proper preparation. It is very important to make sure that your walls are in good condition so that your wallpaper looks great and lasts a long time. For unpasted wallpaper, you need to apply an even layer of paste with a high-quality roller. Every wallpaper roll comes with instructions, so make sure you read the instructions before applying. Once you understand how to install wallpaper, you can easily get a beautifully wallpapered space with little trouble!