Do you know how to install Steam on Chromebook? You can easily install and play many desktop-level games on your Chromebook. Steam is a digital game distribution platform and is supported on Linux. The installation process of Steam is a breeze! Chromebooks are going to make Steam gaming even better. In today’s post, I will tell you how to install Steam on Linux Chromebook and without Linux Chromebook. Steam is only available on a handful of Chromebooks such as Acer 514/515, Acer Spin 713, ASUS Flip CX5, etc. You can keep on reading to find out how to install Steam on Chromebook in detail.
How To Install Steam On Chromebook?
In this section, I will teach you how to install steam on Chromebook. You can easily install the Steam Linux application if your Chromebook supports Linux apps. Remember that not all Chromebooks handle Linux apps before you run Steam.
Follow these steps to know how to install Steam on Chromebook with Linux.
- On your Chromebook, navigate to the system tray located in the lower right corner.
- From the pop-up menu, select the gear icon.
- This opens the Chromebook Settings menu.
- Here, scroll down to locate the Linux section.
- Once you find it, click on the Turn On button.
- From the pop-up window, select Install.
- Wait for a while till the installation process finishes.
- When it’s completed, you’ll be greeted with a terminal window.
- Enter this command: echo ‘deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/jessie main contrib non-free’ | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.
- You can now press the Enter key to execute the process.
- Now, enter this command: sudo dpkg – -add-architecture i386.
- Then, type this command: sudo apt update.
- Next, type this command: sudo apt install steam.
- Press the Y button to confirm the installation process.
- Click on Agree to accept the Steam license agreement to finish the installation procedure.
- Wait for a while till Steam updates itself.
- Click on Login to an existing account to get logged into your Steam account.
Thus, you’re now ready to play Steam games on your Chromebook. You can even press Shift + Ctrl + T to open the Linux terminal window.
Install Steam On Chromebook Using Ubuntu Linux OS
Installing a second operating system in a Chromebook sounds like a risky task! But if you have some technical knowledge, then you can take this challenge.
Follow these steps to know how to install Steam on Chromebook without Linux.
- First, turn off your Chromebook to boot into Recovery Mode.
- Now, press the Esc + Refresh + Power keys simultaneously to enter the Developer Mode.
- Once you are in Recovery Mode, press Ctrl + D.
- Press enter to confirm with the “turn OS verification off” notification.
- Now, a warning will appear on your screen when you reboot again.
- Press Ctrl + D to continue further.
- Install Ubuntu with crouton from Play Store.
- Now, press Ctrl + Alt + T to open Shell.
- Type “shell” and then press the Enter key.
- Then, type this command: sudo sh ~/downloads/crouton -t unity and press enter.
- The Ubuntu installation process will now begin.
- Wait for a while till the computer do its thing.
- In Shell, type this command: sudo startunity.
- Then, type this command: sudo apt install steam.
- After this process completes, login into your Steam account.
Remember that this hack will wipe out your Chromebook. Before you start the installation process, make sure you’ve taken a backup of your local drive.
If both of these options don’t work for you don’t worry, we have a third alternative. Keep on reading to get Steam on Chromebook.
Install Steam On Chromebook Using Steam Link App
This is the easiest way to run Steam on Chromebook computers but comes with certain limitations. Steam Link app allows connecting your Chromebook to a stronger PC.
Follow these steps if you’re interested to download Steam on your Chromebook that supports Android apps.
- Open Google Play Store to download Steam Link.
- Now, ensure that your Chromebook is connected to the same network and uses the same Steam account.
- Then, launch the Steam Link app on your Chromebook.
- Sign in to your Steam account using your account details.
- Next, pair a Steam-compatible controller.
- Connect it to your PC and start playing!
The Steam Link app comes with certain limitations. For example, the controller has to be Bluetooth-enabled and supported by Steam Link
When Will Steam Come To Chromebook?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a specific date when Steam will come to Chromebook officially. This is due to performance and scaling issues with screens that run above 1080p resolution. But it is reported that it will expand availability when the product is ready to install. Google is working on fixing this issue!
If you want to know more topics like these visit Installmo
Can I Play Steam Games On A Chromebook?
A prerelease version of Valve’s Steam game store is now available to try on Chromebooks through the Chrome OS Dev channel. It’s an early, alpha-quality version of Steam, so anything can break.
How Do I Get Linux On My Chromebook?
You can turn it on any time from Settings.
- On your Chromebook, at the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings Advanced. Developers.
- Next to “Linux development environment,” select Turn On.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. Setup can take 10 minutes or more.
- A terminal window opens.
Are Chromebooks Good For Gaming?
You can run Android games, giving you all of the best games in the Google Play store. You can stream games through Google Stadia or similar streaming services. You can install a handful of Linux games directly onto your Chromebook if you’re willing to do some work.
How Do I Install Steam On A School Chromebook?
Open Play Store and search for the Steam Link app (Free). Now, install the app. 2. Once installed, open it and connect your gaming controller to the Chromebook.
My above post on how to install Steam on Chromebook has helped you to install Steam on a Chromebook. All three methods can easily help you to run Steam on Chromebook. If you’ve Chromebook with Android app support, then you can use the Steam Link app to stream desktop games. Along with this, we have even mentioned steps for installing Steam on Chromebook with Linux and without Linux support. You can now head to sign in and download games you would like to play! Thus, you can now easily play Steam games on a Chromebook by understanding how to install Steam on Chromebook.
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit CrazzyCricket
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit CricFor
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit EagerClub
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit EarthCycle
To Know Some Great Stuff Do Visit EkSankalpJob