Being a homeowner, you must be wondering how to install metal roofing. Many homeowners choose metal roofing as an alternative to asphalt shingles. This type of roofing is strong enough to survive hail, wildfires, and hurricanes. In today’s post, I will teach you how to install metal roofing on a house. Metal roofing is an extremely durable material that has a life span of 50 years or more. It can easily reflect the sun’s rays and absorbs less heat during the warmer months. You can keep on reading further to find out more details about how to install metal roofing.
How To Install Metal Roofing?
In this section, I will explain how to install metal roofing in detail. The process of installing metal roofing is easy and requires one or two helpers for roof work.
You can follow these steps to learn how to install metal roofing on a shed.
- As you are working above ground, wear safety goggles and gloves to prevent injury.
- Gather all necessary tools and materials for roofing.
- Now, measure your roof area by using a tape measure.
- Then, purchase the roofing material of your choice with the above measurements.
- Make sure you purchase 10% extra for safety.
- Start removing the existing shingles, underlayment, and vents.
- During this, check if the surface below the roof is damaged.
- Remove or hammer in any leftover nails after removing old materials.
- Now, install underlayment to protect your roof from moisture.
- Install drip edge along the roof eave edges to divert water.
- Bend the end of the drip edge with a hand seamer to wrap it around the corner.
- You can now install the roofing panels over your drip edges.
- Apply caulk or roofing sealant seam tape to properly seal the roof.
- Then, fasten the panels with metal roofing screws.
- Cut panels to size as needed by using a circular saw.
- Once the roof panels are in place, put closure strips where the roof slopes meet.
- Install ridge caps on top of closure strips.
- Lastly, fasten it with screws to seal it.
Thus, installing metal roofing on a shed is very easy and quick. You can consult the roofing manufacturer to find out what kind of underlayment is required for your roof. Putting the closure strips will seal out moisture/ debris and neaten up the appearance.
Install Metal Roofing On A Flat Roof
Now, you must be curious to know how to install metal roofing on a flat roof. Follow these steps if you have a flat roof and want to install metal roofing.
- Measure the distance from the peak to the eave of the roof.
- Use gloves before starting with metal roofing.
- Next, cut the panels into the required sizes.
- For this, you must have an accurate measurement.
- Then, make sure that the roof is properly insulated.
- Now, install these panels over the roof sheathing.
- Install the flashing to allow water to rain off the roof properly.
- You can even dig around the perimeter of the roof for proper drainage.
- Secure the roofing with the nails by leaving a 10-inch space between each nail.
Make sure you follow the instructions carefully while installing metal roofing because failure can result in leaks.
There are two types of metal roofing for flat roofs; standing seam and screw-down. A standing seam metal roof is ideal if your flat roof is over a heated living space or workspace. It allows the panels to expand and contract when the metal heats up. While the screw-down panel is screwed through the panel and can’t expand and contract.
Install Metal Roofing Over Shingles
Surprisingly, it is safe to install metal roofing over shingles as long as the roof is in good condition. You can follow these steps to learn how to install metal roofing over shingles.
- Inspect the shingles to make sure it is in good condition.
- If there is any corrosion, resolve the issue before installing a new roof.
- Move forward only when the working area is in good shape.
- Install underlayment to keep the shingles from running up against the new metal roof.
- Now, add e-foil insulation on the top of the underlayment.
- This will provide a protective surface between the old asphalt roof and the metal roof.
- Finally, install your corrugated metal panels.
E-foil insulation works best with corrugated metal roofs as it allows air to flow and creates a natural venting process.
Install Metal Roofing Over Plywood
You can even install metal roofing over plywood if you know the proper steps. Follow these steps to learn how to install metal roofing over plywood.
- Double-check your plywood to repair any rotted plywood before installation.
- Then, clean out any dust or dirt if required.
- Apply the underlayment that is synthetic, asphalt, or polymer-based.
- For this, measure the underlayment and roll it out evenly over your plywood.
- Make sure you cut it appropriately with a roofing knife.
- After this, install the metal panels over the underlayments.
During the installation, mark sure the first rib of the panel overlaps the last rib of the previously installed panels. You can repeat this step until all the panels are installed properly.
If you want to know more topics like these visit Installmo
What Do You Put Down Before A Metal Roof?
The three main types of underlayment for metal roofs include felt, synthetic sheet, and self-adhering membrane. Without an underlayment, the roof and rest of the home are exposed to the elements, which include not only wind and moisture but also chemicals and resin.
Do You Put Anything Under Metal Roofing?
Yes, metal roofing absolutely needs underlayment.
Felt and synthetic underlayment are great options for asphalt roof systems.
Can I Install A Metal Roof Myself?
While most metal roofing styles can be installed as an advanced DIY project, metal roofing installation is complicated and can vary slightly based on the brand of panels or shingles that you select. We recommend that you install a metal roof with one or two helpers and fall protection equipment designed for roof work.
What Is Metal Roofing Attached To?
Clips or cleats – Clips are used to attach the metal roof panels to the deck. Clips are put on the standing seam portion of the bottom panel, which is then attached to the roof deck by fasteners.
What Goes On First On A Metal Roof?
Eave trim, also referred to as drip edge, is the first piece of trim that will be installed on your metal roof. This step by step installation article specifically covers eave trim installation for an exposed fastener panel such as: ⅞” Corrugated, R Panel/PBR Panel, and Western Rib/7.2 Panel.
How Is Roof Connected To Walls?
The roof-to-wall connection defines how the roof framing and walls are attached. This connection can be made using a variety of materials such as metal connectors, wood blocks and plywood panels, as well as a mix of both. The connection has a significant effect on how sound travels through the house.
By reading the above post, you got to learn how to install corrugated metal roofing in detail. Generally, metal roofing is durable, environmentally friendly, and looks good. Installing metal roofing isn’t something you can do on your own. You can use the above metal roofing installation guide to get the roof installed. As the metal roofing installation process can be very complex and hazardous, hire professionals that are experienced in metal roofing. However, applying the underlayment is a must to provide another weather barrier. Once you understand how to install metal roofing, you can get metal roofs installed over existing or new roofs.
What are the steps to installing a metal roof