Learn how to install a garage door as a garage door adds security to your home! A garage door helps to keep your vehicle and property clean and safe. Earlier people use to lift the garage door by hand and then remove the vehicle. In today’s post, I will show you how to install a garage door. A DIY garage door installation process can be challenging if you’re a beginner. Simply follow all instructions properly to install garage door openers. Work slowly and patiently as installing a garage door is a big task. Keep on reading further to check out how to install a garage door.
How To Install A Garage Door?
In this section, I will teach you how to install a garage door in detail. Installing a new garage door yourself is easy and will surely save your hard-earned money.
You can follow these steps to learn how to install a garage door opener.
- To start, measure the garage door opening with a tape measure.
- Record the length and width of the opening.
- Then, purchase the panels slightly smaller than the doorway.
- Now, place the panel flat on a workbench.
- Lay weather stripping over the panel.
- Fit the edge of the door panel in the tube’s groove.
- Then, place one bracket on each side of the door over the weather stripping.
- Secure them to the panel with lag screws and a cordless screwdriver.
- Pick the door panel and position it in the center of the doorway.
- Hold a level over the panel to make sure it’s level.
- You can slide small wood strips under the panel to even out the sides.
- Now, install a hinge in each of the panel’s upper corners.
- Make sure you screw them in place with lag screws.
- Insert rollers into the holes on the hinges and brackets.
- Then, wrap the roller track around the wheels.
- Use lag screws to secure the track to the door frame.
- Install the hinges the same way on the next-door panel.
- Now, place the second panel on top of the first panel.
- You can ask your friend to pick up the new door panel.
- Connect the door panels by using the hinges.
- Pre-drill holes and then fasten the hinges in place with lag screws.
- Place the roller in the hinge over the empty corner of the panel.
- Then, bring the remaining roller track and fit it around the wheels.
- Line up the track and then slip screws into the brackets.
- Carefully secure the track directly to the door frame.
- Now, connect the horizontal track pieces to the vertical track pieces.
- Slide screws into the track holes and secure them in place.
- Connect the angle irons and tracks with a pair of supporting brackets.
- Then, slide stop bolts into the holes and fasten them with a wrench.
- In this way, stack and secure the panels together with hinges and screws.
- Tightly secure the top hinges and rollers to the curved track.
- Purchase a torsion spring system from a home improvement store.
- Attach the spring to wall brackets above the door and secure it.
- Now, slide cable drums onto the ends of the spring.
- Then, thread the cables through the hinges down to the brackets on the lower panel.
- Hold the torsion bar with clamp pliers as you add tension to it.
- Next, turn the spring with a drill machine to wind the spring.
- Avoid winding the spring too tight as it can break.
- Spray the spring with a garage door lubricant.
- Lastly, install the garage door opener.
Make sure you follow the instructions given in the manual while installing the garage door opener. Garage door openers come in several varieties like chain drivers and belt drivers. You can even install a pull rope and lift handle on the garage door.
You can use the same procedure (from step 32) if you want to know how to install a garage door spring.
You can keep on reading to find out how much does it cost to install a garage door opener.
Garage Door Installation Cost
Installing garage door tracks yourself can be challenging and will require several days to complete the installation. You can call a professional garage door installation company to do the work for you. But do you know how much to install a garage door opener? The garage door opener installation process will cost you anywhere between $220 and $550. This process will be completed within 2 to 6 hours if you choose professional installation.
If you want to know more topics like these visit Installmo
Can I Install A Garage Door Myself?
As long as you take the appropriate safety precautions and security measures during and after installation, there is no reason why you shouldn’t DIY install a garage door. Installing your new roller or sectional garage door yourself has plenty of advantages.
How Long Should It Take To Install A Garage Door?
Type of installation – It takes roughly 4–6 hours to replace a garage door, but installing a garage door compatible with the existing structure is generally more straightforward.
Is It Hard To Install Overhead Garage Door?
With the right tools and proper instructions, installing a garage door can be a DIY project. However, since the parts are heavy and require some working overhead, it may be advisable to have someone else to help you along the way. They can hand you the tools or support the ladder to ensure your safety while you work.
What Is The Easiest Garage Door To Install?
The easiest one piece up and over garage door for installation is undoubtedly the Hormann or Garador Canopy Framed door.
In the above post, I’ve explained how to install a garage door. A garage door opener must be installed properly to ensure it operates safely. This guide offers you simple steps for successful garage door installation. This task can be completed only if you are well-trained and know how to use tools. Just make sure you approach the project slowly and keep an assistant who can help you. Otherwise, you can call a professional garage door installation company to get the work done for you. Once you understand how to install a garage door, you can easily get in and out of your garage.